12 February 2008

Wash me with Hyssop

At first I thought this was a joke, but it's for real and it looks like these folks take themselves very seriously. I post it here out of curiosity and the connection with Lent, not as a product endorsement. Hyssop Baths in South Carolina makes Hyssop Soap.

Here's what they have to say: "As a spiritual cleansing soap, it can be used in conjunction with praying and fasting, during times of trouble, before receiving communion, during atonement and other spiritual moments. We truly believe that cleansing with Hyssop Soap will help church leaders and their congregations experience an uplifting movement to our Heavenly Father and His Kingdom in a spiritual rejuvenation."

I think they're taking Psalm 51 (50 LXX) a little too far. Our Lord said, "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess. Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also." (Mt. 23:25-26)

I'll keep my focus on inward cleansing this Lent.

Thou shalt purge me with hyssop and I shall be clean: Thou shalt wash me and I shall be whiter than snow. Have mercy on me, O God, after Thy great goodness: according to the multitude of Thy mercies, do away mine offences. Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen. (Ps. 50:8,1-2)

No comments: