31 January 2008

Onward to Lent

Am I strange because I look forward to Lent every year? A productive Lent takes planning. I just finished ordering my books for the season. This year it's "Come Be My Light" by Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta.

Here's a list of selections from previous years:
"The Everything Mary Book" by Fr. John & Jenny Schroedel
"Moby Dick" by Herman Melville
"Way of the Pilgrim"
"Franny & Zooey" by J.D. Salinger
"Life of Moses" by St. Gregory of Nyssa
"The Christians Secret to a Happy Life" Hannah Whithall Smith

Some were recommended by my father confessor at the time, while others were prompted by the Holy Spirit. The goal behind Lenten Reading is transformation--that's why you see such odd inclusions as Moby Dick and Franny & Zooey.

I also ordered "Sacred Space for Lent 2008" which includes readings, reflection questions, and prayer starters for each day of the Lenten season. It's put out by the Jesuits in Ireland who make the Sacred Space prayer website possible. Having a guide like this allows me to keep focus.

No comments: