17 February 2009

Ralph

I wondered why my allergies began to act up. Then I noticed that something finished off my bag of nuts. Then I saw the little droppings. Eek! A mouse!

So I bought some mouse traps and baited them with peanut butter. One behind the refrigerator and one under the stove.

I came back an hour later and Ralph managed to get the bait without activating the trap behind the fridge. Clever rascal. So I baited it again. An hour later, same story. I didn't bother to bait it again.

The next morning I woke up and found Ralph with his neck snapped in the trap under the stove.

Why would I bring up the murder of one of God's creatures? Because he made me think about temptation and compromise.

The first time you "take the bait" and seem to get away with it you feel lucky. The next time you're bolder in your action--no consequences again. But eventually, SNAP! You're trapped.

Lent is the perfect time to conquer your passions. To stop taking the bait from the traps in your life. The goodies are there, but you can resist them. That's what the prayer component of Lent is for.

No comments: