07 March 2008

Family Tree Healing

Last night I went to see a speaker from Intercessors of the Lamb, a group of contemplatives, both hermits and families, dwelling in Nebraska. Their charism is to pray, pray, pray! The emphasis was on "Family Tree Healing" and generational curses.

This is a controversial topic for both Protestants and Catholics. Among Charismatics it is especially popular. In my own family I have seen certain tendencies that seem to have a spiritual connection. Some things that came to mind though:

For those who were baptized in Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox churches, two exorcisms take place that setone free from the power of the devil. Therefore, to embrace this teaching is to say that your baptism was deficient.

Most Protestant baptisms do not include exorcism and are considered either symbolic or a seal of faith. Therefore, any curses or evil spirits could remain. Protestants who are recieved into the Universal Church through Confirmation (Roman) or Chrismation (Eastern) only, would also lack the benefit of the baptismal excorcism.

I was baptized in the Assemblies of God at age 11 because I wanted to follow Christ and profess my faith to the community. It was done in the Name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. But it was not seen as a deliverance from death to life, freedom from evil spirits, a washing away of sins. When I became Eastern Orthodox, I was recieved through Chrismation which was the "seal of the gift of the Holy Spirit". It joined me to the ancient Church, but again, no deliverance.

So it is no surprise that I still struggle with issues and tendencies that I discovered go back to grandparents and great-grandparents. This is another reason why "proper" baptism is so important--a change DOES take place.

More on Family Tree Healing:

No comments: