03 March 2008

Angel with a Six-Pack

There are many kinds of angels. Seraphim and Cherubim are closest to the throne of God, while Archangels and Guardians are closest to man. Throughout the Christendom angels are depicted according to culture.

For example, angels in Abyssinian iconography look like Ethiopians/Eritreans even when Mary and Jesus look Middle Eastern. Cherubim, on the other hand, are more abstract.

I came across these Guardian Angel posters in the Catholic Child catalog. It depicts a buff angel sitting by a sleeping child. At first I laughed, but then I realized that it follows the tradition of depicting angels according to the cultural ideal of strength. And it inspired this poem:
Little cherub
fat baby with
hummingbird wings

flutter about the Throne
singing to God
Sanctus Sanctus Sanctus


My Guardian Angel

with bulging biceps

six-pack abs and

flaming sword

watches over me


How'd you get so buff?

Divine design?

Lord's Gym workout?

Probably from daily reps

of keeping me out of trouble
out of danger


Why don't I ask
for
your help
every time
I'm tempted
every time trouble comes?


Hodie illumina

custodi rege

et guberna!

Yes, rule and guide

be at my side

and kick demon butt!

No comments: