14 December 2010

Know How to Be Silent

“It is great wisdom to know how to be silent and to look at neither the remarks, nor the deeds, nor the lives of others.” ~St. John of the Cross

Having read many books and lived through some wild experiences, I enjoy sharing what I've learned. I always have something to add to any discussion. But it might not always be wise to throw my two bits into the pot.

What I've found lately is that many discussions can lead to a feeling of superiority when I know more than others. Then there's humiliation when someone knows more than me. Sometimes I just get frustrated that the other person won't listen or just doesn't seem to get what I'm saying. In general, the result is usually some form of pride or anxiety.

Then there's the tendency to criticize others based on things they say or do. And if I don't criticize I might feel superior to them or more enlightened. This is especially common when talking with someone who is not following Christ. Evangelism changes from an act of love into an act of judgment.

What if I just shut up? What if I concentrate more on my own sin, hypocrisy, and failure? Maybe I should focus on working out my own salvation (Philippians 2:12).

"
Acquire inner peace and thousands around you will find salvation." ~St. Seraphim of Sarov

No comments: